Sundials and Human Gnomon
Discover the fun way to teach your students about the Earth’s rotation.
An interactive human sundial takes your students out of the classroom and into the open air and uses the Sun to teach about how the Earth rotates and tilts on its axis.
An ideal educational tool for schools
A sunclock installation is a fun way to help students identify how the earth’s rotation causes day and night and how the earths revolution causes the cycle of the seasons. And of course because it will last for years (with some maintenance) it will not only be a great teaching tool but it will be a source of entertainment for students and visitors to your school or public area.
Information & Suggestions
- The area of intended installation requires an area of 6.5 metres in an East to West direction and 4 metres in a North to South direction situated on a flat level area preferably free of shadows.
- The cheapest way to install a sunclock is for the school to install the project themselves; either by the grounds staff or the students
* As shown in the photos a sunclock can be simply painted onto the ground be it concrete or bitumen.
* Set into a grassed area using paving blocks etc, (allowing for ease of mowing and also vandal proofing).
* Or by using plants shrubs or small trees for marking out the hour points.
- If a professional installation is required then perhaps the costs could be met by installing a time capsule.
*Then getting local businesses involved and to contribute towards the costs.
- The basic cost of supplying the plans to you is about $300.00. If your school purchases a set of plans and refers 2 other schools who want a set of plans, then those schools will get a cash back as well once they purchase the plans. The cashback / rebate of $99 will be applied once the 2 schools you refer have purchased their plans!
* We obtain the exact Latitude and Longitude of the area of installation, calculate the relevant angles and measurements then supply the plans to you.
* In a downloadable six page PDF
* The sunclock will then be unique to your particular location.
If your school is on a tight budget you can overcome the cost problem by making the project self-funding.. read how to install an associated “Time Capsule” here.
To order your Human Sundial plans please fill in the order form on our website.
Delivery of your plans will be within two days
By purchasing our plans we guarantee you will obtain the most accurate and easiest to follow plans available.
Join the many schools in Australia and New Zealand who have installed a Human Sundial.
As of last year 35, 420 Human Sundials have been installed throughout the world.
Call us today on 07 4125 6403 or 0490 253 266
and discover how inexpensive this great interactive learning tool really is.
All you need to do is email a photo of your finished sunclock in your School or public area
and your school can win $100 towards your next fund raising event!